Monday, February 15, 2010

The week I've been waiting for all winter.

This is the week I've been waiting for all winter...

Pitchers and catchers report on Wednesday. 

The truth is, every year this ends up being one of the most anticlimactic events.

I build this thing up in my head that when pitchers and catchers report, all will be right with the world again.  Baseball will be back.  I'll have a million new things to talk about.

But the pitchers and catchers report and then we just wait until the first preseason game.  And then the preseason games start...and then we wait for opening day.  Nothing really changes.  We just continue to wait and continue to scrape together bull-shit to talk about. 

Well, with that said...let's identify the things to watch for as camp begins:

Fifth starter...who will it be?

5th outfielder/utility infielder...will anyone really stand out?



Will the bullpen be the pig-pen again this season?


Is Xavier Nady ready to play?


Will Ted Lilly be ready by October?


Will Geovany Soto replace Jarred as the Subway spokesman?

Will  Ryan Theriot arrive late to camp due to his commitment to compete in women's figure skating at the Olympics?


Jeff Baker or Mike Fontenot...which is more likely to suck less?


Can Carlos Silva effectively replace Milton Bradley and get on Paul Sullivan's bad side?


And how long until Lou realizes that spring training actually has started?


The trick here is that in the end, just about none of these questions will be answered until about March 28th...so we have to keep waiting.

Anyway, happy Monday everyone.

Oh, and remember the Cubs pre-sale 'sale' of tickets starts today at 10am.  I already took out a second mortgage for my tickets this season, so I don't plan on purchasing any more.  If anyone does try to get tickets today, let me know what sort of seats they are making available for this.  I'm curious to see how they are trying to run this sale. 

2 more days!!!!