Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year and New Doc...

So I abruptly quit the blog in March.

Now I'm back.

So what the hell happened?

Well, I knew this team was going to suck. It was obvious.

I was depressed and I decided to shut everyone out of my life and did so initially by shutting down the blog.

I shut myself inside my house and didn't come out for weeks.
Trust me, this place is much better than the place we moved out of last year.
I was questioning what the purpose of everything was. Why are we here? Is there anything more to life? How could Koyie Hill make a major league roster?

The season started and the Cubs sucked. By May I realized that it was indeed a completely lost season...again. I turned 36 years old and I realized that I wasted the first half of my life following a team who had only won once post season series since broadcast radio had been invented. (I suppose it might be a stretch to say that I might actually live to the age of 72.)

C.D.E World Headquarters started looking pretty abandoned that this point. I still continued to trek down to Wrigley Field a few times every month. It only proved to depress me more as I watched Ivan DeJesus let runner after runner get thrown out at home plate.
CDE World Headquarters
I decided that come July I needed to make a break from this team.

I began to read a lot. And then my wife left me because of my sick obsession over Lisbeth Salander.
Goth chicks rock.
I started drinking heavily.  Ate sparingly.  I experimented with strange drugs. I started cheering for the Toronto Blue Jays. Watched some soccer. It didn't help.

I decided I needed to get away from it all for a while, so I traveled.

I went to Nevada.
Putting the kids' entire college funds on black was not a good idea.
I went to Europe.
Believe it or not, this is not Wrigley Field.
I went to Africa.
I saw Tony Campana in his natural environment.
I finally ended up in Tibet...and only then did I think that I had seriously started to find the answers I was looking for.

I came back to my house in September to find that the Cubs were looking for a new GM. God had opened a window of opportunity I thought. I applied for the job and left the job I had been in for 11 years on the assumption I would be the next GM of the Cubs. To my great surprise, the Cubs never made me an offer. I don't know why.
I worked hard on this resume.
At that point, even my dogs were thinking of leaving me.

And then I discovered that, even though Obama is in the White House, I couldn't get unemployment benefits if I actually quit my job.  So I was out of money, out of work, no friends, no wife...

That's when I decided I needed to change everything.

It started by reconciling with my wife (she convinced me that Lisbeth wasn't a real person anyway).

I gave up my season tickets (a condition of getting back together with my wife)

I got a new job.
I have recently been placed in charge of garbage.
And then the Cubs hired Theo Epstein.

So I started to work on getting the blog back up and running again.

The Cubs have signed a dozen crappy players...and I'm totally stoked about it!

So here's to a much better 2012.