Friday, October 29, 2010

Decision day

Today I need to make a decision on whether or not I’ll renew my season ticket package.

Technically, I have until Monday, but the Cubs supposedly need the response by then, so in order to fax them the selection in time, I need to decide today before I leave work.

And I still don’t know what I’m going to do. For the most part, the people around me seem to be rather “pro-renewing”.

The reasons for renewing are simple…I like going to the games, it’s something that in the future I’ll be able to take my kids to, the possibility of getting playoff tickets. The reasons for not keeping them are almost entirely financial.

Some people think that this argument has more to do with whether or not the team is good. That isn’t really it at all. I love going to the ballpark. I love watching baseball. It’s not the social aspect that many people go. I go there not to interact with the fans. I go there to watch baseball. Wrigley is my sanctuary win or lose. It’s my way to get away from the stress of work.

But it’s expensive. It’s something I started doing before I had kids and before I got married. It might be something that a person with these responsibilities no longer has the luxury to do, not just financially, but because of the time cost as well (remember, I live in Wisconsin).

So, as the hours tick down, I have a decision to make.