Sunday, April 11, 2010

If the games only went 7 innings...

Um...

This team has three major weaknesses right now...

1. The bullpen (minus Marshall and Marmol)
2. Geovany Soto
3. Alfonso Soriano playing in left field

I've already said that I think the Cubs will be able to correct the bullpen eventually.

Soto has barely been adequate behind the plate, and been horrendous at the plate.  In fact, at the plate, exactly what I was fearful of with his weight loss has appeared to happen...he has absolutely no power in his swing now.

And what the hell do you do with Alfonso Soriano.  I didn't think it was possible, but he looks even more lost in left field right now than he did last year.

So, what do you do about this?

Well, we need to just wait out the bullpen thing.

I said this this morning, and I'll say it again...the Cubs have the depth and resources to resolve the bullpen issues. 

And I am now officially calling for Koyie Hill to get at least 1/2 of the starts behind the plate.  He might not provide much more on offense, but he is a superb defensive catcher, and the pitchers love having him behind the plate.

But I don't know what you do about Soriano.

The Cubs, quite simply, must wait this out.  All you can really do right now is hope his bat comes around, and then, in a close game, replace him in the 8th and 9th innings on defense.  I can just see people calling for him to be benched in favor of Tyler Colvin.  I'm sorry, and I'll continue to say this, the Cubs cannot win unless Soriano plays and plays well.

I am still expecting a huge season out of Soriano, but many Cubs faithful are getting really antsy right now.

If you want a recap of game, well, some young pitcher making his major league debut looked extremely poised against the Cubs hitters.  The game was tied going into the eighth inning.  The bullpen couldn't hold on, and Soriano commits a costly error and the Cubs lost the game.  In the process, the Cubs wasted another great start by a starting pitcher...this time, Tom Gorzelanny.

Ok...everything is going to turn around starting tomorrow...right?  We have all the nice renovations at the ballpark, and the weather is supposed to excellent. 

I'll try to get to the ballpark early tomorrow and get some pictures from around the ballpark.

The series preview to come a little later.