Friday, November 19, 2010

Congratulations to the Rothschild haters...he's gone.

Larry Rothschild has moved on to greener pastures and has become the pitching coach of the New York Yankees.

Cub fans can't blame this guy for anything anymore.
As I've said before, I've really grown to respect Rothschild and enjoyed the stability he's brought to the Cubs pitching staff over the 8 years.

The truth is, this is really a big blow for the Cubs who are now going to have to scramble to try to find a person to replace Rothschild.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a good candidate that is available right now. I'm not sure the Cubs and Mike Quade will have the influence to get any of the better pitching coaches out there to leave their current team. I'd love it if they could get Mike Maddux, who I think has done great jobs with the Rangers and before that, the Brewers. (No, Greg Maddux should not be considered a candidate.)

Leo Mazzone is available if he wants to come out of retirement...but I don't see that happening.

Judging by the composition of the current coaching staff, I suppose Mark Riggins will probably be the guy who will get the job. That's shame because I'm fairly sure he would have no clue how to handle a veteran pitcher like Ryan Dempster or Carlos Zambrano.

So, once again, the Cubs lose out on a good thing (though your opinion might differ). People who think that the Cubs are more a more attractive team to work for than the Yankees are just fooling themselves. Joe Girardi was never going to come here...wasn't even tempted. And now Larry Rothschild bolted this mess.

What a mess.