Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dear Arizona...get your act in order, dammit! Love, Doc

Well, Arizona, home to mostly old, retired people is really doing a good job at pissing people off lately.

Now I am not going to go into whether or not the new immigration law is a good law or if it promote racial profiling...frankly I just don't know enough about it and haven't really figured out how it is drastically different from many other immigrant laws already on the books...

But I do know this...it has pissed a lot of people off.

Now as I Cubs fan, I'm more concerned about this fact...

The Arizona state legislature has gone into recess...and they've gone into recess without reaching a resolution to help fund a new Cubs spring training facility in Mesa.

Look, I've said this before...I have a slight preference for the Cubs to move to Florida, but my main goal here is for the Cubs to get the best spring training facility possible. 

Naples is just sitting there waiting at the for the exclusive negotiating deadline to pass in July.  They, in theory, have the money and will move quickly after that deadline passes.

It has been said that getting new legislation passed in Arizona is not dead...a special session could be called for the legislature to pass a funding bill.  I still think this will happen...

But...the only reason that Naples has been brought into the discussion again is because Arizona lawmakers don't have the guts to stand up to the other owners in the Cactus League, and more importantly, Bud Selig, who is being as absolute asshole in these negotiations.

Please follow through on this, Mesa...because I don't want this to get ugly.