Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yes...it does happen: Racism at Wrigley....Come on, Cubs fans!

Ok, I had a great time at the game last night.

Just one problem...

Some jerk sitting in the cheap seats behind me...

In the 8th inning...

Marlon Byrd strikes out...

And then the unforgivable sin...

Some jerk loudly blurts out the 'N' word.

I didn't see who it was...but I was not the only person that heard it.  He didn't even really shout it at Marlon, he used it more as a loud grumbling in disappointment over the strikeout and used it as an adjective about Marlon.  

Look, I have been on record over at LOHO as saying that racism is prevalent all over our society...and at the same time I criticized Milton Bradley for, what I felt, was unfair blame placed on Cubs fans last year, and basically saying that Milton's cry babying about it only worked to diminish the problem of racism in this country.

But then this happened last night...this happened to a player that is Milton Bradley's exact opposite.  A player who, by all accounts, is a great teammate.  A player who has already been hugely embraced by the fans at Wrigley.  I'm not saying doing the same to Milton Bradley is ok, but if this can be done to and aimed at Marlon Byrd, it sure gives a lot more credit to Milton's case. 

I really wish I knew who that was, because I probably would have given him a piece of my mind.  Geez, there were a lot of kids sitting in that area when that happened too.  I'm really surprised no one pointed the person out.  Six or 7 people in my section turned around to find out who did it but no one obvious stood out...and many of us were talking about it after the fact. 

Has Chicago become this backwards that this is common place everywhere?  My desire to move back to the Windy City is really high right now, but this is really upsetting.  Maybe I've lived in Madison so long that I have grown much more sensitive to the issue...but I don't think hatred and bigotry make for a good environment for anyone to live in.

Come on, Cubs fans!  How disappointing.  This is totally unacceptable.