Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday's Physical: 1st Base

Well, if you want to have an idea of what I think about what the Cubs should do with first base, take a look at yesterday's post.

The Cubs have a fixture at the first base position right now.  And that is likely to stay the same for some time to come.  So let's examine what we should expect.

2009:

The first month of the season I actually had some people agreeing with me that the Cubs should have traded Derrek Lee and put Micah Hoffpauir at first base.  Lee was hurt and was missing a chunk of time at first, and looked bad when at the plate, running and fielding.  But at that point when everyone started doubting him...bam!  Lee was one of the most potent players in baseball the rest of the way and was easily the best offensive player on the team. Defensively, he should have been in contention for a Gold Glove, which was won by Adrian Gonzalez!?!?!


We saw a lot of this in 2009!



The Cubs had many different backup at 1st this year, include (as mentioned earlier) Micah Hoffpauir, Jake Fox, and Jeff Baker.  Not much to say about that.


2010-What is likely to happen:

Well, despite what I would wish to happen, Derrek Lee is going to return in 2010.  He will likely not have the power numbers he had in 2009, but look for an average around .300 and for him to drive in around 90.  At some point this season, possibly even in spring training, negotiations will start on a contract extension for Derrek.  I'd expect the Cubs to try to keep him on for another 3 years with close to what he will make this season, $13 million.


"Flap harder!"

At backup, Jake Fox will likely return and play off the bench as a backup outfielder/3rd baseman/1st baseman/emergency catcher.  Jeff Baker will be back as well, and can handle the position.  These guys will all be satisfactory here. 



Doc's comments:

If you want to see what I think the Cubs should so, look at yesterday's post.  I like Derrek, but if it means we could get come prospects and save on some payroll, I say trade him.  Yes, I know I'm stupid for saying the Cubs should trade their best player from this recently ended season.  I never said I wasn't stupid.  But I really think there would be some advantages in doing so.

Hey, Jake, keep that first baseman's mitt handy!!!


But with that said, the clock is ticking on D-Lee, and some of the other veterans on this team including Soriano and Ramirez...2010 might be the last real chance for these guys before their age becomes a real issue and the Cubs consider replacing their respective positions.  I'm sure I'll have a post about that some time soon.

No comments: